Sun & Wine route
The “Sun and wine route” leads you to the villages in the eastern area of the Axarquia region like Algarrobo & Torrox pueblo and Sayalonga with her famous Nisperos fruit.The village Cómpeta is nestled at the foot of the Sierra Tejeda and Almijara mountain ranges. The white village of Cómpeta appears with the unmistakeable fragrance of the muscatel grape, its old houses with traces of Moorish, Roman and Christian times. Despite the course of time and technological advances, the process of wine production is still a work of craftsmanship: after the grapes are dried in the sun in drying patches called "paseros", they are pressed and the unfermented grape juice is stored in large barrels. Wine production, although characteristic of all of Axarquía and especially of this route, is most famous in the town of Cómpeta. Competa has a slogan: Dulce y Acogedora which means sweet and charming... Here you'll find also a nice wine museum!.Canillas de Albaida is situated on the slopes of the Sierra de Tejeda mountains and so the surrounding areas are rich in pine groves scrubland and cork and are ideal for rambling and outdoor activities. The view to the valley to the coast is wonderful, as are the views to the mountains which in winter months are sometimes capped in snow. Frigiliana, an extremely pretty village which has received several awards for beauty and conservation. And ofcourse Nerja, a very attractive white town on the coast. Despite of the growing numbers of tourists still very charming. Known by the popular spot in the town: Balcón the Europa” and the breathtaking beautiful caves near the village Maro. Some of the best in Europe!
Some things of interest:
- Visit the unique Round Cemetery and the Moorish Museum in Sayalonga.
- One of the oldest festivals in Axarquía, "Wine Night", which is celebrated the 15th August of in Cómpeta.
- Enjoy nature at "the Factory", recreational area of Canillas de Albaida.
- Admire the antique craftsmanship in Frigiliana.
- Take a walk at sunset along the seashore boardwalks at Torrox and Algarrobo Costa and enjoy its long beaches.
- Enjoy the most famous dish of Torrox, "migas" (stuffing) in your own private party, the Sunday before Christmas. And we can't pass up the famous cakes of Algarrobo.
- Marvel at the formations in the Nerja Cave. You shouldn't miss the international festival that is celebrated here in July.
This route combines the best of the coast and the interior, bringing together tourist excitement and rural peace. Its close proximity to the beach is one of the main qualities of the Sun and Wine Route, forming a duality that manifests itself in all of its cultural sources.
Exclusive daily excursion including wine & tapas tasting in the Axarquia region of Andalucía:
Andalucía has a long history of winemaking and produces several interesting and taste-worthy products you're sure to enjoy. Our program includes a part of the famous Sun and wine route in the traditional, tranquil and rural region "La Axarquia" with her unspoilt whitewashed villages, green valleys, mountainous areas and pine forests. This region, with its favourable Mediterranean climate, has always produced the best grapes and wines in the region of Málaga.
This unique tour gives you the opportunity to leave the typical tourist track and indulge in the real Andalusian lifestyle with traditional Spanish gastronomy.